Create account / Log in

Placing counters on counters

Talk about module design ideas and techniques.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Re: Placing counters on counters

Postby JoelCFC25 » August 7th, 2019, 2:28 pm

As mentioned above, the "Does not stack" trait with Select piece: normally, Move piece: normally, and the box ticked for ignoring the grid is the only way I know to do what you intend. You might use this in combination with the map-level feature called Game Piece Layers--not to be confused with the piece-level trait named Layer.

This regulates entire classes of pieces so that they all draw above/below other classes en masse. The documentation spells this out--seemed like it might be good if you have terrain and units entirely separate. But I don't know if "terrain is always below units" is true for your game.

Having Text Labels that rotate with the piece seems like something that should be possible, but trait ordering will be vital here. I can't remember offhand which way it has to be, but the Rotate trait might have to be above everything or below everything else--one way it should work, the other it won't. Trial and error should sort it out.
JoelCFC25

Postby Benkyo » August 7th, 2019, 10:17 pm

I don't understand why you think Do Not Stack won't work. Just add it to your game pieces, check ignore map grid, and you have your solution, according to what you have told us.

If there is some reason you can't do this that you haven't mentioned, the other solution is this:
Add a Send To trait with a destination $CurrentZone$
Add a Trigger that triggers on the Map keystroke, and activates the Send To trait.

This is much simpler than the other method I had in mind when I wrote my earlier reply.
Benkyo

Postby Jardic » August 15th, 2019, 7:08 am

For the Module 'Age of Bismarck by FoW games.

When the Sardinian player controls most of Italy the "Kingdom of Italy" is formed. this makes the controlled provinces home country for the Sardinian player. I copied the map areas and colored the Green (Sardinian home area) color. I used 'Does not stack' and alt-Click to select & only move when selected. Also a 'Send to Location command to put it in the correct place. You could have a menu to go to each possible location.
I had to allow the piece to be removed, if the province was captured by another major power. otherwise I would have the piece selected to never be able to move.

I had to lower the resolution to get the picture to fit on the forum post.

Kevin
Attachments
Z map piece.jpg
Z map piece.jpg (208.09 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Jardic

Previous

Return to Module Design