Create account / Log in

Compression issue? Module not being recognized

Talk about module design ideas and techniques.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Compression issue? Module not being recognized

Postby Minaya » January 14th, 2020, 3:58 pm

I have been trying to modify a module so I changed the extension vmod to zip, unzipped, made minor changes, zipped again and changed the extension to .vmod but Vassal doesn't recognize the file as a module.

I think that the problem might be that I use the app provided by Apple (I use Mac OS) to zip the file. I tested it unzipping a module and zipping it again with no changes: Vassal doesn't recognize it.

Am I right when I think that the app used to zip the file is behind this issue? If so, what app do you recommend?
Minaya

Re: Compression issue? Module not being recognized

Postby JoelCFC25 » January 14th, 2020, 5:39 pm

On MacOS what tends to happen when you unzip something is that by default the contents of the zip are placed in a new folder that the OS creates of its own accord. After making your changes, it's tempting to right-click that entire newly-created folder and zip that back up before doing your file suffix change. However, you now have the wrong item at the root level of the zip archive--VASSAL doesn't find what it's expecting and says it's not a valid module.

What you need to do is go into this newly-created folder created after extracting your zip archive, multi-select the contents of this folder--which at a minimum will be a buildfile and an images folder, but may also contain any HTML/text help files, .vsav files representing predefined setups, etc--and compress those multiple selected items. Rename the resulting zip file and then you'll have a valid module.
JoelCFC25

Re: Compression issue? Module not being recognized

Postby Minaya » January 14th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Thanks a lot!
Minaya

Return to Module Design