Create account / Log in

Advice on Hidden Dice Mechanic

Talk about module design ideas and techniques.

Moderators: Tim M, uckelman

Advice on Hidden Dice Mechanic

Postby Fleafa » March 26th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Hi all. I've been meaning to learn how to use VASSAL for a long time and our current predicament has prompted me to dive in.
I'm attempting to make a barebones mod for Bushido, with the blessing of owner GCT. It is a miniatures game, so I am using Guild Ball and Malifaux as reference. Largely similar in terms of movement etc.
The melee combat dice mechanic is giving me a headache just thinking about it and I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction. It flows as follows:
  1. Both players calculate their pool of melee dice - between 1 & 5, usually, though potentially more in extreme cases.
  2. Each secretly allocates dice from their pool to attack and defence - differentiated by colour.
  3. Each also selects a single Special Attack or Defence card.
  4. Both players reveal their card and roll their dice simultaneously.
  5. Re-rolls of all or individual dice.
  6. Calculate scores.
  7. Compare scores.
The actual score is calculated by selecting the highest result. Up to two results of 2+ then add +1 to that score, for a maximum score of 8. I'm not too worried about making this work, as players can do the arithmetic themselves, and there are a bunch of re-rolls and modifiers etc. I'm most concerned with the first 5 steps above. What would be the best way to approach this?

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Ben.
Fleafa

Re: Advice on Hidden Dice Mechanic

Postby Fleafa » March 27th, 2020, 9:27 pm

I've got the hidden Special Attack or Defence Card working using a Private Window and a Deck from which you can select a specific card. At the moment, I'm allowing defining the Attack and Defence dice quantities through Dynamic Properties which are also masked.
This will work from now, despite being clunky. Players can then roll however many dice they declare. Need to get working on that next.
I'm still very open to better approaches!
Fleafa

Postby Fleafa » March 31st, 2020, 1:22 pm

OK, tumbleweeds here, but I'll update.
I've managed to hack through Tim M's demo files to produce one set of privately declared dice which are rolled on the main map. Now I need to make it scale to two sets per player...
Fleafa

Postby Cattlesquat » March 31st, 2020, 7:17 pm

I haven't done much with dice in Vassal, but I'm definitely following your thread with interest because there's a game I'm *thinking* of doing a module for that would involve a lot of dice grouping/allocating stuff. So your updates are most useful!
Cattlesquat

Return to Module Design