Create account / Log in

Tile disappears

Issues with the Vassal engine.

Moderators: uckelman, Tim M

Tile disappears

Postby slimy » May 18th, 2020, 8:47 pm

I asked for help and then realised I had done it in the wrong forum.

Here it is again:

I have an ongoing game of Tigris & Euphrates (version 4.1). The game is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-3oAI ... blkjaOUjkj .

The problems start after 04-bull.vsav. That file loads fine.

Then when you step through 05-archer.vlog everything seems fine:
1. place a tile, gain a point
2. place a tile gain a point
3. refresh hand

My opponent (bull) reports the tile is flipped as in this picture:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qSR15 ... 8HiWJKpAjy

When I reload the vsav (or any subequent vsav save attempt) the tile has disappeared entirely.

The next vlog seems to be okay but subsequently the tile has disappeared.

I am using Linux Debian buster (fairly fresh install) with an XFCE desktop. Bull is using Windows 10 Pro version 1909 OS build 18363.836. We are both using VASSAL 3.2.17.
slimy

I should say that from my side the game has been played on two Debian buster machines with very different hardware. It does not go away when the vlog files on that other machine.

This one has the following details:

Code: Select all
root@leonhartsberger:/home/nicholas/VASSAL/VASSAL-3.2.17# /usr/sbin/hwinfo --short
cpu:                                                           
                       Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU  N3540  @ 2.16GHz, 500 MHz
keyboard:
  /dev/input/event0    AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
mouse:
  /dev/input/mice      Cygnal Integrated USB OPTICAL MOUSE
  /dev/input/mice      ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad
monitor:
                       AUO LCD Monitor
graphics card:
                       Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
sound:
                       Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
network:
  wlan0                Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
  eth0                 Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
network interface:
  lo                   Loopback network interface
  wlan0                WLAN network interface
  eth0                 Ethernet network interface
disk:
  /dev/mmcblk0         Disk
partition:
  /dev/mmcblk0p1       Partition
  /dev/mmcblk0p2       Partition
  /dev/mmcblk0p3       Partition
usb controller:
                       Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx, Celeron N2000 Series USB xHCI
bios:
                       BIOS
bridge:
                       Intel Atom Processor E3800 Series PCI Express Root Port 1
                       Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Power Control Unit
                       Intel Atom Processor E3800 Series PCI Express Root Port 4
                       Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series SoC Transaction Register
                       Intel Atom Processor E3800 Series PCI Express Root Port 2
hub:
                       Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                       Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
memory:
                       Main Memory
bluetooth:
                       IMC Networks Bluetooth Device
unknown:
                       FPU
                       DMA controller
                       PIC
                       Keyboard controller
                       PS/2 Controller
                       Realtek RTS5286 PCI Express Card Reader
                       Intel Atom Processor E3800 Series SMBus Controller
                       Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine
  /dev/ttyS0           16550A
  /dev/input/event14   Chicony Electronics USB2.0 VGA UVC WebCam
slimy

Re: Tile disappears

Postby jrwatts » May 18th, 2020, 9:16 pm

You don't list what version of Java you're using. That's probably the most important question.
jrwatts

Postby slimy » May 19th, 2020, 4:45 am

jrwatts wrote:You don't list what version of Java you're using. That's probably the most important question.

Code: Select all
nicholas@leonhartsberger:~/VASSAL/VASSAL-3.2.17$ PATH=/home/nicholas/VASSAL/jdk8u252-b09/bin:$PATH java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_252"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_252-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

Another thing I have tried is recreating move 5 to create a new .vsav. (Obviously this gives a different hand refresh.) However this seems to reproduce the issue. That is: I place the red tile, save to a new .vsav. When I reload the .vsav the red tile is gone.

This reproduces even I do this experiment by loading 04-bull.vsav into 3.3.0-beta3.
slimy

Postby slimy » May 19th, 2020, 2:26 pm

I am pretty sure this is a mistake in the module now.
slimy

Postby slimy » May 19th, 2020, 7:10 pm

So I believe I have largely got to the bottom of this.

The module supports 3 maps. Each map has 8 to 14 at-start stacks each including a red tile. Any tiles not initially on the map should be in the deck. So for maps with less than 14 red tiles initially, I put the excess upto 14 on the map in an "excess" stack. Then I have a startup global key command that sends the excess back to the deck.

The mistake I made was in two assumptions:
1. That startup global key commands only run when a new game is started (not everytime the module loads).
2. That I did not need to test saving and loading games, because this was core VASSAL functionality. (Not blaming VASSAL now but that was my reasoning.)

I have fixed that by changing the marker to a dynamic variable. Now the startup command does a trigger which both returns the excess tiles to the deck and clears the excess tag.

The one bit I don't understand is how the bug presented itself to my opponent. He has sent me a vsav file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=189eQJ ... IBeuHJ-mqY .

If you load this file in version 4.1 of T&E the tile disappears (which I get). If you load it in a tweaked version of 4.1 where the startup command is disabled you see what he reported to me. That is the tile is masked ("flipped") and you cannot unflip it. I still don't understand how this could occur.

I am about to upload 4.2 but I would be very grateful if anyone was able to shed light on this aspect.
slimy

Return to Technical Support & Bugs