[messages] Combine Layer and Can Rotate Button

Thomas Russ tar at isi.edu
Mon Jul 19 10:22:45 MST 2010

On Jul 19, 2010, at 6:42 AM, derdiggeohl wrote:

> Hi I have a big wish for a feature
>
> it should be possible to combine the two buttons 'Layer' and 'Rotate'
> at the moment i have the problem to rotate two layers independently
> (my account dont work, i wrote the question as herr lehmann)
>
> e.g. a tank with tower
> my actual game piece list order is
> Layer Hull
> Can Rotate
> Layer Turret
> Can Rotate
>
> but the stupid thing is, the hull rotates with the turret

Well, one quick solution would be to switch Layer Hull and Layer
Turret in the list order:
   Layer Turret
   Can Rotate
   Layer Hull
   Can Rotate

This will cause the turret to rotate with the hull, so that is likely
to be a more intuitive action.  It doesn't solve the coupling problem,
but it does at least make the behavior seem reasonable and not stupid.

========

A second solution, which will work as long as you don't need too many
directions (like if you could only rotate by 60° or 30° steps) would
be to not use rotation at all but instead just use a set of layers and
cycle through them.

That way the rotations would really be decoupled from each other.  So,
if you had 6 different hull or turret directions, you would create an
image for each of those six and just switch between them to do the
rotation.