[messages] [Developers] Re: question about delete and order

Tim M timothy.mccarron at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 29 10:22:20 MST 2010

"uckelman" wrote:
> The more discussions I see of the way that traits work, the more I
> think
> that we need to overhaul it to make it more consistent...
>
> --
> J.

Think we went over that once before, the problem iirc is not that it
can't be fixed to act in a consistent way, it's that modules might break
after if they depend on the way things work now.

Heres a simple example:

Today you might have a stack order like this -

BasicPiece
Report Action, CTRL B, output "Hello"
Trigger Action, inkey CTRL A, outkey CTRL B, CTRL C
Report Action, CTRL B, output "World"
Report Action, CTRL C, output "End of Routine"

when we execute the CTRL A we get the output in the chat window as
follows

World
Hello
End of Routine

thasts not quite right, so to fix we reverse the 2 CTRL B reports

BasicPiece
Report Action, CTRL B, output "World"
Trigger Action, inkey CTRL A, outkey CTRL B, CTRL C
Report Action, CTRL B, output "Hello"
Report Action, CTRL C, output "End of Routine"

and when we run again we now get

Hello
World
End of Routine

it works - but now if we leave it like it is and fix all traits to
respect stack order properly we would only get

World

which is breaking the way things work today and to fix properly we would
have to reorg the entire stack like so

BasicPiece
Report Action, CTRL C, output "End of Routine"
Report Action, CTRL B, output "World"
Report Action, CTRL B, output "Hello"
Trigger Action, inkey CTRL A, outkey CTRL B, CTRL C

Now ideally everything should be organized like the last example and
work that way, but unfortunately it's not and/or doesn't

I agree with Mike, that change could be dangerous