[messages] [Developers] Re: question about delete and order

Michael Kiefte mkiefte at dal.ca
Fri Jul 30 02:37:02 MST 2010

All this is correct.

The terms inner and outer are used because that's what it's called in the
Java code.  Inner refers to something that's higher in the list and outer
refers to something that's lower in the list.  Outermost is the thing at the
very bottom which is first to receive the keystroke and respond to it.  So
bottom to top is the same is outermost to innermost.

3. is functionally correct below, but it's a simplification.  But yes, it's
correct.  Just for for clarification here's what happens in most traits:

a: receive keystroke
b: do my action if keystroke matches
c: send keystroke to piece above me

But for triggers (and ReportActions) it's like this:

a: receive keystroke
b: send keystroke to piece above me
c: if keystroke matches, send all the keystrokes I'm asked to perform to the
outermost trait in order

If you think about it, you can see why triggers are done from top down and
everything else is done from bottom up.  If you have triggers that are
activated by other triggers, it, of course, gets a little complicated.

- M.