[messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Vassal code maintainability

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Jul 30 03:09:44 MST 2010

Thus spake fil512:

> Cool!  Nice to see layering is already on the list.  Even if nio is in
> beta, it should still be possible to include it as a jar instead of as
> source no?

The NIO stuff is actually our code. I don't see the advantage to having
it in a seperate JAR. (BTW, this tells me that you're looking that the
trunk, which is in a completely broken state right now, and also contains
a lot of changes from 3.1. If you want to see what you're actually
running, look at the 3.1 brahcn.)

> Didn't see unit tests on the list.  I don't know how you
> guys manage to avoid breaking modules without unit tests...  And I
> didn't see the visitor pattern stuff on the list either.

We *don't* avoid breaking modules without unit tests. We really have no
way of telling whether anything actually works right now. The reason
that unit tests isn't on the list is that I wasn't thinking of writing
tests as a separate project---it's something which should be done as
part of any project where we write new code.

> Here's another one:
>
> 5. Any thought of moving to Maven as the build engine?  With Maven you
> get a bunch of cool stuff for free like Sonar.  Mmmmmm Sonar... Sonar
> would help dramatically with any layering initiative.  You could use
> JDepend, but the Sonar UI is so much nicer.

Maven is based on ant, right? We used to use ant for builds and packaging.
I *hated* ant, which is why we're using GNU Make right now.