[messages] [Developers] Vassal code maintainability

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Jul 30 03:27:16 MST 2010

Thus spake Michael Kiefte:

> I think JUnit tests would be the first order of business....

Characterization tests for old code would be helpful, since then we'd
be able to see whether the way things work has changed. (Whether the way
things work is correct is another matter... Failing a charaterization test
might in many cases be the desired result.)

The main obstacles I see to this are (1) that a lot of the old code is
so tightly coupled as to be untestable, and (2) time. The former is
awfully pernicious---I've spent a lot of time already trying to decouple
things, with limited success.