[messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: [Developers

fil512 ken.stevens at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 30 09:15:32 MST 2010

"uckelman" wrote:
> Thus spake fil512:
>
> Thank you! (We'd also appreciate having more dev help, *especially* if
> you're interested in writing tests.)
> J.

I am interested in writing tests.  I am a big believer in automated
testing.  I designed and built the free online multiplayer strategy game
http://www.strategicinitiative.org/[1].  The code for the game is open
source, hosted at Google Code http://code.google.com/p/stratinit/[2] (I
got fed up with Sourceforge being so slow and breaking the site when
they upgraded it last summer.)  I worked hard to build comprehensive
unit test coverage for that game.  Every time a bug was reported, I
would first write a failing test that reproduced the bug, and then fixed
the code until the test would pass, ensuring first that the hundreds of
other unit tests also still passed.  After a while, you have such strong
test coverage that you can make major changes to the inner workings of
your code with boldness and courage, knowing that your tests will tell
you whether your changes break anything.

Ken

[1] http://www.strategicinitiative.org/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/stratinit/