[messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: [Developers] Vassal code mai

Tim M timothy.mccarron at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 30 13:10:47 MST 2010

"fil512" wrote:

> I didn't realize that players made their own custom traits.  Well
> you're stuck with that API then.  That's unfortunate.

They don't. Most custom traits are written by Engine coders for specific
module requests by developers/players. In some few cases it is done by
others though - the OCS mods come to mind there

"fil512" wrote:

> In that other thread, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3258[1], I think a big part
> of the reason it took 20 posts to get the answer to, what I felt was a
> relatively straightforward question, is that there is a disconnect
> between how the user interacts with traits and how the java code
> implements them.  If dispatching keystrokes to traits were implemented
> using a visitor pattern, then I bet instead of 20 posts, it would have
> only taken 2 posts to find the answer to my question, because all
> you'd need to do is read the answer straight off of the trait walker
> method.  As it stands now, to get the answer, you need to go into each
> and every trait to see how they interact with each and every other
> trait.  That's nasty.

It may be nasty, but the way it works is also very powerful and
versatile. Most have gotten used to it too and after awhile you know
exactly what to look for in most troubleshooting issues and can zero in
pretty quick. To keep that level of current abilities modders can
utilize would probably require such an overhaul coding wise it would
take a couple of years at least of time to get back to the same level.

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3258