[messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Vassal code maintainability

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Jul 30 14:16:49 MST 2010

Thus spake fil512:

> > No, I wrote almost all of that becuase there's no backport of Java 7's
> > ZipFS
> > for Java 6. But presently we're not using any of in fact, I've had so
> > much
> > difficulty with it that I'm in the middle of backing out all of it.
> >

> Good to see it's being yanked out.  It looks like a bunch of code that
> isn't concerned with Vassal stuff--looks like something that there
> should be a jar for.

I understand what you're saying now---not that this code should be
repackaged, but that we should be relying on an external library.
I agree, but that library doesn't exist. I looked for a ZipFS backport
before sinking a month into writing all of this, but there wasn't one.
It was all supposed to be only temporary until we can use what will
be part of Java 7. I was not expecting the ZipFS code I inherited to be
so crappy, so in retrospect, I wouldn't have done it had I known what I
know now.

> I have yet to see a piece of code I can't test.  It's true that with all
> the UI stuff there it's harder to test than it should be, but I found
> that with a few mocks I was able to test everything that needed to be
> tested.  Not sure if you've looked at the Vassal module analyzer I
> wrote, but it's written completely as JUnit tests and uses mocks to deal
> with obstacles to unit testing.

No, I haven't had time to look at it yet, still fighting with site stuff.