[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Unable to run Vassal

Thomas Russ tar at isi.edu
Mon Nov 15 18:49:44 MST 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 2:33 PM, LGH wrote:

> I installed vassal with no problems, but when I go to run it, it
> flickers an hourglass for a second, then nothing happens. I've
> restarted
> and run it, and I've checked the task manager as well, it just doesn't
> appear to be starting. I checked the FAQ and couldn't find anything
> that
> looked like this problem, but this isn't a problem I've had with other
> programs, so I'm not sure if it's my system, or something else. I'm
> on a
> Lenovo Thinkpad(Laptop Windows PC), which has given me problems once
> or
> twice with other programs, but only when trying to run things
> fullscreen.
> Does vassal require being connected to the internet to run, as well? I
> know it's generally played online, but are you unable to run the
> program
> at all if you aren't connected?

An internet connection is not required.

Although if it isn't there, it's possible that something is waiting
quite a while before getting at timeout and continuing with the
startup.  That may be the problem, but if it doesn't even show up in
the task manager that may not be true.  You could also try looking
at     this somewhat long thread:

   http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3419