[messages] [Developers] Re: determining how much heap a BufferedImage uses

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Nov 24 14:45:20 MST 2010

Thus spake Joel Uckelman:

> If you try the demo with -XX:+PrintGCDetails, you can see that there's enough
> heap space, but it's just allocated badly between the young, tenured, and
> permanent objects. Hmm. There must be some option which will affect this.

I asked about this on StackOverflow, and got this answer:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4269734/how-to-let-the-psoldgen-expand-to-accomodate-very-large-objects

The summary is that I need to use -XX:MaxNewSize to ensure that the new
generation stays small enough so that the the old generation can grab
enough of heap space.