[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Recenter Map problem

krenshala krenshala at koboldi.net
Thu Nov 25 23:54:15 MST 2010

I'm currently working on a module, and have been testing things as I add
them (since I'm attempting to figure out what I'm doing as I try to do
it :)).  I just now added the Recenter Map function and tested it with
two counters on an otherwise empty map.  What I discovered was that in
certain placements the recentered counters are not centered in the hexes
after pressing the button.  They are centered on the map, but not
properly aligned with the hex-grid.  This does not always happen, as it
appears to depend on both the map alignment (hex grid offset) as well as
the overall positioning of the counters on the map.

At first I thought it was because I had adjusted the hex offset (I have
a mild dislike of the left and right most rows being chopped in half,
and had adjusted the hexmap half a hex width to the right), but the
problem continues to appear even after I recent the hexmap offset back
to 0,0 instead of the 50,0 I was using (my hexes are 116x100).

I have had this happen before in other modules I was playing around in,
but thought it was something I had done.  With this brand new module,
however, I am confident this is not the case (unless I've missed a
configuration option while editing the module ;)).

To reproduce it, all you need to do is create a new module, add one
counter, add a hex map and the Recenter Map option.  Place two counters
on the map, two hexes apart in any configuration, and then press the
Recenter Map button.  Move the display to the new counter locations, and
check their position.  If, on the off chance, you don't see the problem
at that time, move one of the counters one hex in any direction that is
not toward or away from the other counter and press the Recenter Map
button again to see the problem.

Personally, it looks to me like the recentering code does not check
counter alignment in reference to the snap-to-grid settings.  Based on
movement messages after recentering, it looks like Vassal /thinks/ the
counters are correctly centered in certain hexes, but they aren't
displayed there (e.g., move a counter one half-hex up-and-right and get
the message "<player> moved <counter> from 1001 -> 1001" as if I had
moved it to the hex it was already in).

Vassal version 3.1.14
Sun Java 1.6.0_20
WinXP SP3

If anyone needs more information I will be happy to provide it.