[messages] [Feature Requests] [patch] Re: Fix private message windows stealing focus

Wojciech Meyer wojciech.meyer at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 29 16:42:28 MST 2010

Joel Uckelman <uckelman at nomic.net> writes:

>> Thanks. Any hints how could I test it?, I can't open two sessions on the
>> same host.
>
> You should be able to. Are you sure that you can't open two instances of
> the same module?

Yes, I can, and I thought it is a good idea at first but... that would
be troublesome as at one point only one window can have focus.  Instead
I used my laptop :)

I am attaching the patch, the modified behaviour is as follows:

- if the chat window is visible but any other window has focus, then it
  switches focus to the chat window, e.g. it would happen if VASSAL was
  open but not maximised and the chat window was beside main VASSAL
  window

- if the chat window is not visible or not present yet, the focused
  window will remain to have focus and the chat window will become
  iconified and blinking in a window manager task bar

- if the chat window has already focus then don't do anything special
  with it

Tested on Linux. Let me know how to proceed with the Bugzilla.

BTW: Is there anyway to build incrementally VASSAL? Any chance to track
dependencies and rebuild just files that has changed? I use makefile
that works pretty well apart that it takes whole Emacs for a few
seconds..

The patch is against 3.1 branch.

Thanks!

Wojciech