[messages] [Module Design] Re: counter creation

krenshala krenshala at koboldi.net
Tue Nov 30 16:47:17 MST 2010

"Tim M" wrote:

> "krenshala" wrote:
> > So, I've been thinking more on how I can have a single set of
> > counters that when placed on the board indicate which side they
> > belong to.
> >
> > I thought at first that just using a Layer that displays a specific
> > counter "background" image for each side would work ... until I
> > discovered that you can't place the Layer trait higher on the list
> > than Basic Peice.  :roll:   Thinking about it further, I decided to
> > still try and use a Layer trait.  Instead of a full background
> > image, since it would hide the actual tile image, I thought I'd use
> > an image that was mostly transparent instead.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the best way to tell the Layer trait
> > which layer-image to use based on the owning player of the piece.
> > Can the Property Name just use $playerSide$ = <sideX> to have it
> > display the desired layer for <sideX>?
>

> No you can't have a layer higher than a basic piece, but where does it
> say you need to have an image on the basic piece trait to create a
> counter? Why can't you just create your counters out of layers only -
> its been done before, the basic piece just remains empty of image...

Nothing says I have to.  Right now my Basic Piece image has a ship image
and ship class designation on it, and the rest of the image is a
transparency.  I'm trying to have the piece show the correct
"background" image for the side it belongs to, based on which side
placed the piece onto the board (e.g., if the Red player puts it on the
map I wanted the ship to have a red background, while it would show blue
if the Blue team placed it).  My goal is to not have one copy of each
ship counter for each player side, but to instead have one copy of each
ship counter shared by all sides, but marked to easily display which
side it belongs to.