[messages] [Feature Requests] Re: ADC2 to VASSAL Coversion

Thomas Russ tar at isi.edu
Mon Oct 4 15:27:33 MST 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 2:34 PM, cgmclellan wrote:

> I am going to need to explain myself better in regards to the map.
>
> It is not the "image" of a map that I want to use in another module,
> it
> is the grid coordinates. The map images are the same in both modules.
>
> As I reported once before, the supply units in an Afrika Korps module
> imported from ADC2 were not imported correctly.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to import this from ADC2
instead of just using the native Vassal module?

> Both the German and the
> Allied supply units used the same image -- the German one. I did not
> discover this until after I had gone over the whole Afrika Korp map --
> all 2500+ hexes -- establishing the grid coordinates as irregular
> grid.
> This is an exhaustive, manual task requiring many strokes to change a
> single coordinate -- well over 50,000 clicks. I changed the Symbol
> Names
> in the ADC2 module and imported the module again. Now the units are
> correct, but this map does not have the grid coordinates that I
> laboriously established on the former AK map.
> I do not want to go through the process of doing all those coordinates
> again.

I can understand that.

It looks like the native Vassal module includes custom code for
handling the oblique hex grid numbering system.  [Is that planned to
migrate into the main Vassal trunk, or are there too few classic
Avalon Hill games to make it worthwhile?]

> Is there any way to transfer the map with the grid coordinates (or
> just
> the coordinates) from one map to the other?

My guess is that the simplest way to do this would involve manually
editing the build file.  There are some brief instructions at

  http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Creating_Modules#What_is_the_buildfile_and_how_do_I_edit_it.3F

Make sure you do the editing on a COPY of the module, since making a
mistake in the manual editing can make the module unloadable and maybe
unrecoverable.