[messages] [Feature Requests] Re: ADC2 to VASSAL Coversion

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Oct 5 04:49:36 MST 2010

Thus spake Thomas Russ:

> It looks like the native Vassal module includes custom code for
> handling the oblique hex grid numbering system.  [Is that planned to
> migrate into the main Vassal trunk, or are there too few classic
> Avalon Hill games to make it worthwhile?]

It's something which people ask for enough that it should become a standard
part of VASSAL eventually.

A good time to do that would be when the hex grid code is next reworked.
It's an awful mess presently---it contains a lot of cut-and-paste code
and dodgy math---but it's also rather self-contained, so wouldn't be that
big of a job for somebody who wanted to do it.

The code needs to be sepearated into more parts:

* An interface for hex grid numberings
* Concrete implementations of hex grid numberings
* An interface for classes which draw hex grid numberings
* A class for hex grids
* An interface for classes which draw hex grids
* Concrete implementations of classes which draw hex grids

Essentially what I'm envisioning is that you'd implement the HexGridNumbering
interface for each different numbering scheme you wanted, and then a HexGrid
would have a HexGridNumbering as a member. A good start would be to do just
this part. I don't have time for it right now myself, but this would be a
great small project for someone who would like to contribute.