[messages] [General Discussion] Re: Combat Commander module unplayable

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Oct 12 03:06:10 MST 2010

Thus spake pmiranda:
> PC: Asus Eee Box
> Processor: Intel Atom CPU 330, 1.6GB
> RAM: 2GB
> OS: Windows 7 32-bits
>
> Module settings:
> - prefer memory-mappe files: unchecked
> - high quality scaling: checked
> - disable DirectX: unchecked
> - JVM initial heap: 256
> - JVM maximum heap: 1500
>
> Saving a log and synchronizing is extremely slow (several minutes).

The speed of saving a log is a known problem---this is something I intend
to fix either in 3.1.15 or 3.2.

> Some
> actions, such as activating units, are also very slow (~5 seconds).

This is due to the depth of traits on each piece. We have some changes
planned which will improve the performance here, but until then, the
only thing you can do about this is use a faster machine.

> By the way, does it mean that using the P2P option would make my online
> games faster?

It might. You could try it.

> I suspect the size of the graphical files in the module has also
> something to do with its performance. They allow zooming-in a lot.

Is zooming slow for you?