[messages] [General Discussion] Re: Combat Commander module unplayable

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Oct 12 11:11:20 MST 2010

Thus spake pmiranda:
> Probably, but VASSAL cannot be compared with the latest first person
> shooter either. I think it should run reasonably well, even on a simple
> computer. Actually, most modules run quite well. The only ones I've had
> problems with, so far, are Combat Commander and Twilight Struggle.
> SunTzu, for example, doesn't seem to suffer from such problems, even on
> my PC, but I can't really compare, as the is no Combat Commander module
> for SunTzu (unfortunately).

I would agree with you when you say that VASSAL cannot be compared with
the lastest first person shooter, because they're doing completely
different things. Modern video hardware is optimized for doing matrix
multiplication, not handling huge bitmaps. I think you're underestimating
how much computing power you need to handle an image which is several
thousand pixels in each dimension. You won't find any 3D game which loads
images as large as the ones VASSAL has to handle.

As far as ZunTzu, it's also not an apt comparison. If you had a CC module
for ZunTzu, it wouldn't be anything but a board, pieces, and cards. The
VASSAL module has hugely more functionality than that. If you want to make
such a comparison, you should compare a completely bare-bones VASSAL module
with a ZunTzu module.