[messages] [General Discussion] Download speed

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Oct 13 08:44:32 MST 2010

Thus spake alejo68:
> Hi,
> I'm getting an extremly low download speed whenever I try to get a
> module (unless the link takes me to other site). Is this normal?
> Ty.

We're saturating (the outbound half of) our internet connection right now.
This is why everything--downloads, the site, the game server---is so slow.

Doing something about this is nontrivial. We need either (1) more outgoing
bandwidth, or (2) less outgoing data.

We could do (1) by colocating our server at a data center down the street
from our current host, but this will be more expensive. We could do (2)
by switching module distribution to BitTorrent. I'm presently looking into
both options.