[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Error when trying to export empty map as png.

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Oct 20 13:24:54 MST 2010

Thus spake lozgreen:
> I have created a hex map that has cells 132 wide by 153 high.
> Board width is set to 33660 wide by 68085 (255*445 cells)

I think you might not appreciate how colossally huge the image you're
trying to save is. A 33660x68085 image contains 8.5GB of pixel data.
You can't do anything useful with an image that size on a comptuer that
has only 4GB of RAM.

It is a bug that VASSAL lets you try to create an image that size, which
I'll fix. However, there's nothing that we (or anybody) can do to make
it possible for that image to fit uncompressed in RAM on your machine.

What will happen after I fix this is that the map image will be sliced
into pieces of a more manageable size. Alternatively, you could make the
size of your cells smaller.