[messages] [General Discussion] Java Deprecated by Apple

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Oct 21 12:39:58 MST 2010

Thus spake bdgza:
> http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/21/app ... -mac-os-x/[1]
>
> Apple Discontinuing Java Installation Packages for Mac OS X?
> Thursday October 21, 2010 11:01 AM EST
> Written by Eric Slivka
> A number of readers have pointed out that Apple's developer
> documentation for its Java updates for Mac OS X released yesterday
> reveals that the company appears to be ceasing future distribution of
> its custom-ported Java packages.

Yes, I saw this on java-dev at lists.apple.com. What this ultimately
means I have no idea---trying to divine Apple's intentions is something
akin to kremlinology. Maybe Oracle will pick up the slack, maybe there
won't be Java on the Mac anymore... no clue.

It does make me wonder if we should plan to stop using Java.