[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Re: Lost Connection to Server

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Oct 23 08:37:01 MST 2010

Thus spake DrNostromo:
> I've had this problem for the 3 years I've used Vassal and no one seems
> to know why. I would imagine it has something to do with the way our ISP
> deals with passive connections or some piece of equipment (router, etc)
> that's causing the break but, as far as I know, it's never been
> identified. I know it's not Vassal ...they've stated on a number of
> occasions they have nothing going on that would cause that.

It's flattering that you give us so much credit. :)

I can say pretty definitively now that we're not using any of the old
site infrastructure that if the problem was with the network on our end,
then we're quite unlucky to have the same problem with the old and the
new network. So, I'm inclined to rule that out.

It's still possible that our game server software itself is the culprit.
Hopefully in a few months we'll have the new Jabber-based game server
ready for testing---we'd learn something about the old game server if
that works for you without this problem.