[messages] [Module Design] Triggering creation of a piece

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 09:01:17 MST 2010

I'm attempting to design in a few modest automations for the Here I
Stand module (http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Here_I_stand[1]).
So far I've had good success: I've got some Send to Location actions
working for debaters and New World VP counters, and a working way of
tracking and reporting the number of Protestant and English Protestant
spaces.

Here's where I'm stumped. I have a counter on the main map board (the
Luther reformer counter in this case) that I want to perform a
right-click action on (Excommunicate). This action changes a global
property (LutherExcomm) from "false" to "true". Then I'm hoping to have
a counter appear out of thin air on a board in a different map window
(the Power Cards board).

Based on a lot of study of the Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition and
Successors III modules, I set up At-Start Stacks on each of the boxes in
the Pope's Excommunication track on his Power Card (this is a separate
board in a separate Map Window). The basic piece has an undefined image,
so nothing appears. Then I created a Layer with the Excommunication
image. I thought I could use a Trigger (check global property to see if
LutherExcomm is true) to fire the key command that activates the Layer,
causing the Excommunication marker to automagically appear.

So far I haven't had any luck. I've read the sticky about the order of
traits and thought I set them up OK, but I've tried multiple ways just
in case. I must have some fundamental error in my line of thinking, or
there's a better way to skin this cat that I'm not thinking of. Can
anyone help? Thanks.  8)

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Here_I_stand