[messages] [General Discussion] Illegal And/Or Unintentional Moves between Logs?

Thomas Russ tar at isi.edu
Fri Oct 29 12:11:54 MST 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 10:55 AM, yeti wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am brand new to Vassal and am trying to learn the ropes.  I've been
> playing around with an existing modular and seeing how moves are
> recorded and logged.  This is so I can play via email with friends.
> ...  When I was messing around with the logs, I kept
> changing things on the board on accident without clicking "Begin Log"
> and realized that any changes done during this phase would go
> unsupervised.

That is correct.  It is the same as stepping out to get a drink of
water when playing face-to-face.  If the board gets accidentally
bumped while you aren't there, it can change the configuration and you
wouldn't know it without looking closely.

Vassal is no different.  The design is geared toward reproducing the
board-game experience using an on-line virtual board.  It doesn't try
to enforce the rules or prevent cheating.  The latter item would be
generally impossible anyway, given an open source software
implementation, at least not with any reasonable effort and Email
interchange protocol.

You can choose to play live on-line if you want to have a direct
ability to see what is going on, but with EMail exchanges you and your
partners just have to be diligent in starting log files to record
movements.  I thought more recent versions of Vassal included some
prompts to remind players, but maybe that is actually planned for a
future version.