[messages] [Module Design] Re: Game Pieces as Locations?

swampwallaby b.easton at exemail.com.au
Tue Jul 5 18:10:14 MST 2011

Well,

I'm afraid I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I forgot to mention that to have a map or zone
report a location as part of movement, it must have a grid. Just add an
irregular grid to the Zone and define 1 point where you want the card to
snap. This solves you non-snapping point also.

The bad news is that it is not actually possible to include Global
Variable names in the movement reports or grid location formats. I had
not realised this when I suggested this method, I apologize for that. It
sounded like a good idea at the time :)

There is another way though. You will need to turn off the movement
reporting in the Map (Set the Auto-report field in the Map to blank) and
handle the reporting of the movement yourself in each counter with a
Report Action trait keyed to your map movement key Ctrl-Shift-A. A
Report Action message can include any Global variables at all. Reporting
the 'From' location is a little tricky, you will need to store it in a
Dynamic Property in the counter each time you land somewhere, so that
you can report it when you leave. Otherwise, just usa a 'X moves to
Here' type message.

Hope this helps,
Brent.