Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Jul 6 22:39:35 MST 2011

Thus spake lancel:

> About Java applet, if it is converted from the current Java app,
> wouldn't it run inside a browser too?  Has the Vassal Engine ever been
> converted to run as a Java applet?

It would not be easy to convert VASSAL 3 to be a Java applet, and maybe
not even possible, because:

1. It needs access to your disk. It *might* be possible to give an
applet the privileges is needs for that, but I suspect it would involve
signing the applet and so on, which would make it impossible to use
with custom classes.

2. You will run into problems with the heap size. I don't know what the
maximum heap is for Java applets, but I'll bet it's less than what's
needed for most modules, and won't be adjustable from inside the applet.

Lastly, if you can run Java applets, it means you have Java, so you
could run the regular application.