Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Jul 7 02:19:22 MST 2011

Thus spake lancel:
> On further thoughts, I don't remember this topic ever mentions anything
> about converting Vassal modules into Java applets and / or running the
> converted Java applets along with Javascript.  Wouldn't it be more
> cost-efficient to convert them into applets if it is feasible?

The similarity between Java and JavaScript is that the former is a
substring of latter. As languages, they're entirely distinct---Java is
strongly, statically typed and has class-based inheritance, while JS is
dynamicly, weakly typed, has first-class functions and closures, and
uses prototype-based inheritance. It's unfortunate that JS is known by
the name that it is.

Any conversion from Java to JavaScript is going to be nontrivial (and
in the wrong direction, in my opinion, as complex codebases are harder
to maintain in dynamic, weakly typed languages).

It's not clear to me how applets can interact with JS, as JS acts on the
DOM, as from that point of view, an applet is just an opaque XML element.
So, you'd have that problem (which there might be some solution for, I
don't know) in addition to the other problems I mentioned with running
as an applet.