[messages] [Module Design] Peek (or similar) available to all players

cparrott chuckparrott at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 14:01:12 MST 2011

I have a game where a set of cards is dealt face down and each player is
allowed to peek at some cards prior to choosing one. I have something
similar working in a module, but when the cards are dealt, they belong
to the player who triggered the deal action. While the opponent can
access the cards and mask/unmask and select the peek action, the peek
only shows the back image to the opponent while the side that dealt the
cards sees the front. Reading the docs, it appears that the peek is tied
to the original masking player and cannot be changed even with the
unmask by any player setting.

Anybody have a workaround so that both sides could peek at the cards
before selecting one? My only idea is to have them draw the cards to
their player hand and then put back the cards they don't keep. But this
requires having the players unmask then mask the cards during the
process. A draw and return to deck process doesn't work in this instance
because the cards are all laid out face down in a grid fashion.