[messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: VASSAL 4 model description

rami rs55862 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 14:35:44 MST 2011

"uckelman" wrote:

> > - The actual module design affects a great deal of the core Model
> > design. How the modules are added to the system? As plug-ins? If as
> > plugins then each plugin could provide its own additional menus etc.
> > However,
> >
> > - Currently the available modules vary from card games to dice games
> > strategy games or even RPGs(?). That is a wide variety of games. All
> > having different types of data and core functionalities. How does
> the
> > Model take care of all of this variance?
>
> Every game object in a physical game is logically just a bundle of
> properties. The model stores those. The functionality comes from the
> scripts and Actions.

So Model in this case is just a repository for handling data with
various properties and the actual game module offers (somehow) the game
logic in form of scripts? It was bit confusing for me at first as I have
always put the engine part in the Model so that the application control
is in one single place.

"uckelman" wrote:

> > - Animation is one of my personal PITA. Should the game be able to
> show
> > actions in animated manner (including the ability to see what the
> other
> > user is pointing at the moment etc.)). If animation is included then
> it
> > probably will affect the model in some way.
>
> I don't see how this would affect the Model. Things like animations
> and
> the position of the cursor are in the domain of the GUI View. (I would
> very much like to make it possible to see the other player's cursor,
> though.)

Sorry, I can't say what I was after with that one.  :?

In VASSAL, when playing FtF, the other player is the master with the
model and the other player is a slave? Or does both have their own
models that are kept in sync? Or (very unlikely) is the model completely
separated and shared between the clients on the server side?

--
Rami