[messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: VASSAL 4 model description

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Jul 20 03:50:58 MST 2011

Thus spake rami:

> So Model in this case is just a repository for handling data with
> various properties and the actual game module offers (somehow) the game
> logic in form of scripts? It was bit confusing for me at first as I have
> always put the engine part in the Model so that the application control
> is in one single place.

My reason for wanting this separation is to keep the purely
presentational aspects of games from being entangled with the logical
ones.

> In VASSAL, when playing FtF, the other player is the master with the
> model and the other player is a slave? Or does both have their own
> models that are kept in sync? Or (very unlikely) is the model completely
> separated and shared between the clients on the server side?

We could do any of those by having Views which supported the right
operations (such as querying a remote Model). I was supposing that each
user would have a Model locally, though, as rendering in the standard
GUI View will need to retrive quite a bit of information from the Model.