[messages] [Developers] Re: How to become a Vassal developper

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Jul 20 06:07:46 MST 2011

Thus spake "mickael.camelot":
> Hello,
>
> I don't have sourceForge username, so i will create one first.
>
> I am disappointed, I have never developped in C++ so i will be useless
> for your project.
> So the Java version is close to the end ?

We only in the planning stages of version 4, so this isn't set in stone,
but the plan we have now is to stop using Java (for the reference
implementation) after 3.2.

There is still quite a lot of work to be done in Java for the 3.2
release, and it might be the case that someone still wants to make an
alternative version 4 client in Java---so the need for people who know
Java is not at an end yet.

Also, C++ and Python are not so hard to learn---both are imperative
languages, and C++ has syntax which is nearly the same as Java. And it's
always easier to learn a language when you have a use for it.