[messages] [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: [Developers] Re: VASSAL 4 mo

bdgza bdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:56:41 MST 2011

"uckelman" wrote:
> > In VASSAL, when playing FtF, the other player is the master with the
> > model and the other player is a slave? Or does both have their own
> > models that are kept in sync? Or (very unlikely) is the model
> completely
> > separated and shared between the clients on the server side?
> >

> We could do any of those by having Views which supported the right
> operations (such as querying a remote Model). I was supposing that
> each
> user would have a Model locally, though, as rendering in the standard
> GUI View will need to retrive quite a bit of information from the
> Model.
>
> --
> J.

It would be best to keep syncing the model between all players, as the
current VASSAL does. If the host crashes everyone else still has the
complete gamestate (to save or continue after the crashed player
recovered). What perhaps could be improved upon is the implementation
– detection of sync-loss or network failure. It's rare, but it has
happened that games have lost sync. Quicker notification of and more
information about loss of network connection with other players and/or
the VASSAL server would be nice.