Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Jul 21 06:43:49 MST 2011

Thus spake Tim M:

> "bolabola" wrote:
> >
> > Anyhow, I think it is worth giving Qt a look. I think it would be a
> > perfect fit for a new Vassal 4.0 C++ engine.
>

> QT was already brought up earlier although I can't say why it is no
> longer mentioned anymore...

I think the reason is: We've been discussing high-level design issues
recently, and which GUI toolkit (or which libraries of any sort) we use
isn't so relevant at this point.

Regarding Qt, though:

I used Qt some years ago. I found it to be quite irritating that it
had poor integration with the Standard Template Library, and the degree
to which it was generating code using its special preprocessor made
some problems a nightmare to debug. One of the things which people point
to as an advantage of Qt---namely, that it is a giant, all-encompasing
framework providing everything you might need---is also touted as an
advantage of Java, and it one of the reasons why I don't ever want to
use Java again if I can avoid it. Using a monolithic library means that
it's harder to swap out parts which are unsuitable or broken, and such
libraries will tend to worm their way into every part of your design. I
want to keep our dependencies on third-party libraries as confined as
possible, so that we're free to replace them as needed.