[messages] [Developers] Re: How to become a Vassal developper

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jul 31 06:38:01 MST 2011

Thus spake zov66:

> I know that the 'new' direction for VASSAL 4 is C++ (which is kind of
> ironic, I used to be a C/C++ programmer and in 2004 I could not find any
> jobs doing that, so just this year I switched to java, did some C# from
> 2006 to 2009 or so off and on). Java obviously is platform independent
> so not sure why you would want to screw with that by going to C++ which
> in general is platform dependent, at least to most of my past knowledge.

Sun claimed, and now Oracle claims, that Java is platform-independent.
The only interpretation I can see under which this could be true is that
they mean that classes compiled by their Java compiler will run in any of
their JVMs. This is such a weak claim as to be useless, as we care about
the classes' behavior, not just that they'll run. If they're claiming that
you can expect classes to have the same behavior on different platforms,
then that's simply false---some don't. I'd point to our ImageIOImageLoader
class as evidence for this---it's 350 lines of workarounds for the various
ways in which Java's ImageIO image loaders are broken, some of which
affect only certain platforms. We also have 30+ locations in our trunk
where we do OS checks in order to get correct behavior. No C++ project
I've worked on has had so much platform-specific code (or code for
working around broken libraries) as VASSAL does.