[messages] [Developers] Re: How to become a Vassal developper

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jul 31 07:00:02 MST 2011

Thus spake zov66:
> Interesting, that lib was not listed, the instructions only indicated
> setting the lib jars, after I added the lib-nondist that removed all but
> 4 errors.
>
> Okay, I then added that to the out put and did a clean and VASSAL is
> okay now. But CASL was complainign about a 1.5 JRE which I don't have
> (only have 1.6 and 1.7) so I just removed that and then CASL has a black
> thing in it but it looks okay. Now ASL is complaining with 4 errors.
>
> MappedBufferedImage cannot be resolved to a type
> ASLBoard.java
> /dlazov - ASL/src/VASL/build/module/map/boardPicker
> line 377
> Java Problem

The immediate cause is that all of the memory-mapped images code,
including MappedBufferedImage, no longer exists in the trunk.

The correct way to get a map image is to get an ImageOp using
Op.loadLarge(), and then to call getImage() on that ImageOp to get
a BufferedImage.

However, if you're planning to do anything with that BufferedImage
other than immediately display it, you should encapsulate whatever
further processing your going to do in another ImageOp, as otherwise
you're bypassing the image cache. E.g., it looks like after line 377
that the BufferedImage is cropped and scaled, which should be done
using CropOp and ScaleOp.