[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Re: Further Explanation of Workaround Needed Please

redjack11 troyrhughes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 22:35:10 MST 2011

Further clarification of the problems I'm having...

Running the command line:

> C:\Program Files\VASSAL\lib>java.exe -client -cp Vengine.jar
> VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

Results in:

> VASSAL: IO error
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and
> Settings\Owner\VASSAL\lock (Acce
> ss is denied)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.main(ModuleManager.java:145)

So I'm guessing I need to add "-Duser.home=/path/to/home/dir" to the
following command line:

> C:\Program Files\VASSAL\lib>java.exe -client -cp Vengine.jar
> VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

Problem is, when I tried "C:\Program Files\VASSAL\lib>java.exe -client
-cp Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager -Duser.home=/c:/Documents
and Settings/Owner/VASSAL" I got:

> VASSAL: Unrecognized option '-D'

Hopefully this explains the trouble that I'm having. The fix of adding
"-Duser.home=/path/to/home/dir"  to the command line doesn't tell me
enough. What parts of that need to be changed, and to what exactly to
they need to be changed? What does "-Duser.home" stand for? Or is it to
be typed in exactly like that? And what does the "/path/to/home/dir"
need to be changed to, exactly?