[messages] [Module Support] Re: Twilight Struggle 3.0.9a and PBEM

Michael Kiefte mkiefte at dal.ca
Fri Mar 4 19:09:17 MST 2011

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the thanks!

As for helping out, sure!  Right now the code is a mess.  I went head-first
and, right now, the goals are these:

1) Add a button that will store a dialog prompt command that an opponent can
click when he receives saved game.
2) Enforce rules regarding Influence placement -- huge pain in the ass.
3) Turn the custom classes into generic classes that other modules can use.

I quickly got to the point were many things were just impossible, so I
started writing a lot of custom Java code.  I've already gotten a request
for the card count that you see in the player hand button and I suspect that
people will like a way to query opponents as in the TS module.

You're more than welcome to help, but the code is deeply horrible.  I can
show it to you, but it would probably cause seizures.  I'm trying to figure
out a way to legally put it on SourceForge.  I have to admit, I haven't
spent a lot of time looking into it.  The problem is that the images are
proprietary and they're tightly integrated into the module.  I'm sure GMT
will balk at that.  Even if they don't, SourceForge's policy is that
everything that goes up has to be GPL.

- M.

On 4 March 2011 21:45, zschub <mattb at classforge.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your detailed reply. I see the problem to which you refer - a
> moment of interaction with the non phasing player currently captured as
> a dialog. Tricky. I will play the module on a server and get a feel for
> these cases.
> Having only played Wellington (and ASL in the distant past) on VASSAL,
> I'm extremely impressed with your TS implementation and would like to
> say a huge thanks! :-)
>
> If at some point, you would like some help on the TS stuff, please let
> me know (10 years of Java dev with plenty of Swing, can drive svn etc
> etc). I'm working my way through the PBEM code myself at the moment with
> the goal of smoothing some things out that get in my way with Welly
> (vmod 2). Though I would certainly understand if this isn't of interest
> to you - sometimes simple is better. :-)
>
> Cheers and thanks again,
>

>  matt

Michael Kiefte, Ph.D.
Associate Professor