[messages] [Developers] Re: New developer

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Mar 14 15:15:08 MST 2011

Thus spake Tim M:
> There isn't really any formal documents on branch naming conventions
> that I remember, but in general we have just been using our names,
> possibly hyphenated with what the branch purpose is, for example
> "bobd-bugfixes3.1". When you look in the repository under
> VASSAL-src/branches you'll see what I mean.

Bob,

If you're going to work on bug fixes (which I strongly encourage),
you should branch from the 3.1 branch.

The best thing you can do right now is help us squash bugs on the 3.1
branch. Getting into the 3.2 branch before I get it returned to a
functional state (which might happen this week, if I can get things
around here to settle down) will only be frustrating.

If you look here, you can see which bugs have been reported the most:

http://www.vassalengine.org/tracker/duplicates.cgi

The top two are both VASL bugs. If you have any interest in VASL, I'm
sure people would appreciate having those looked into. Bugs marked as
External are not ours---in most cases, these are bugs in Java that
we're waiting on to be fixed---so there's little or nothing we can do
about them. Otherwise, any bug you can fix (or even just determine the
cause of) is progress, but the more duplicates there are, the more
valuable it is to us to squash the bug. (Consider that we have to
spend time looking at bug reports, determining whether they're dupes,
etc., so the faster we can eliminate commonly reported bugs, the more
time we can spend on other things.)