[messages] [Module Design] GKC and ownership

mycenae ed at crucible.cc
Tue Mar 15 23:14:24 MST 2011

I have a mod where players plot their unit movement by placing markers
on their own, private charts. In the real game, players place a screen
on the table between them, so neither can see where the markers are
placed. At the end of the plotting phase, they pull the screen and
reveal their moves.

I thought I could replicate the 'screen' using Invisible markers--each
Plot phase, a turn-based hotkey fires a GKC, which invokes the Invisible
trait on the markers, hiding them from the opponent. Another hotkey
fired at the end of the plotting phase toggles invisibilty off. Player
A's markers are only hideable by Player A, and Player B's markers, only
hideable by player B.

This all works fine, to a point. If you click the turn marker, then each
plotting phase, your markers get hidden like they should, and then
revealed when the phase ends.

Trouble is, I'm finding that the GKC 'respects' ownership here. If
Player A clicks the turn marker to fire the hotkey, the GKC will
hide/unhide only -his- markers, because he's the only one allowed to
Hide his pieces. He can't seem to hide (or unhide) player B's markers
using the GKC. Same goes for player B--if he clicks the turn tracker to
advance the phase, he only toggles his own markers.

Any suggestions on a way around this problem? I'd really like the hiding
process to be automated and linked to the phase tracker, so the marker
hiding is done without players having to do anything each time plotting
rolls around. I sort of assumed a GKC would be 'neutral' in terms of
ownership.

Plan B is just to build a GKC button for each of the players to hide
their own markers, but they'd be clicking that manually each plotting
phase and I wanted to avoid that, if possible.