[messages] [Module Design] Re: [Module Design] Re: Module Map Repaint Very S

Tim M timothy.mccarron at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 18 05:52:09 MST 2011

"uckelman" wrote:
> Thus spake DrNostromo:
> > Try converting your JPG graphics to PNG. I've found that JPG's don't
> > work nearly as well in Vassal.
> >

> I'd like to see the evidence you have for that. Every image, once it's
> loaded, is supposed to be put into the same format in memory. Can you
> show me some JPEGs which don't work well?
>
> --
> J.

Sure :)

In the attached zip is a module with 3 images a gif,jpg and png. The png
is easy to spot but which image is the gif and jpg is more difficult.
The gif is the better of the two though because it doesn't butcher the
alpha as bad as the jpg format  .

Its easy to blame vassal for their appearance but it's really not vassal
that is the issue but the image format itself - but we've always known
that and the reason this probably happens is (the blame vassal bit),
when someone is using a utility such as photoshop or paintshop pro,
these programs show your image how it's supposed to look while
manipulating in them but they will let you save as another format
without previewing (if you want to like any good graphics program) so
you dont see your real end result until after you've put the image into
vassal and you could end up with something like this example mod shows.
:shock:

One should always use the export/preview options the graphics software
one uses provides as a result to know what your going to get. :)