[messages] [Developers] Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Jeffrey Brent McBeth mcbeth at broggs.org
Tue Mar 22 06:14:25 MST 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 09:58:09AM -0300, Michael Kiefte wrote:
> I am entirely suspicious of Qt.  Qt has been in a license quagmire from day
> one.  I agree it's a fine toolkit, but do you even know who owns Qt right
> now?  Even if you do, the answer might change shortly (the answer is Nokia
> who, last I heard, will likely be laying off all of their Qt people in
> favour of Windows--soon they will be back to only selling tyres and rubber
> boots).

Qt is available under a commercial license, LGPL 2.1, and GPL 3.0.  If
Nokia ever pisses the KDE people off enough, the KDE folks even have the
right to unilaterally release Qt under a BSD license.  I'm not sure how
much more secure you can get than that.

There are lots of things to be grumpy at the Trolltech people for, but
licensing flexibility has not been one of their weaknesses for a very
very long time.

And hey, there are Lisp bindings for all of us closet grey-bearded
parenthesis lovers :)

Jeff

--
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."