[messages] [Developers] Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Michael Kiefte mkiefte at dal.ca
Tue Mar 22 06:30:04 MST 2011

I'm not worried about the licensing as much as the developer base.  There
are many LPGL libraries out there but it would be a bad idea to invest a lot
of time focusing on a library set that is going to die a slow horrible
death.  I've been through that before.

Again, Qt is a great library -- I quite like it.  But I'm deeply suspicious
of where it's headed.  You did mention KDE though, and I had forgotten about
that relationship -- I use Gnome myself, but KDE is also a fine desktop.
The fact that KDE is deeply wedded to Qt does actually make me more
comfortable.  But the KDE people probably couldn't care less about the
Windows or MacOSX port which would have to be maintained equally well to be
viable for us (e.g., see what's happening to MacOSX and Java).

And I'm also entirely comfortable with Lisp: obscure code peppered with
toenail clippings. Haven't touched it in 15 years though.  Maybe if we did
Lisp, I could experiment with some AI (I did a course in AI where the
language in use was Lisp).  ---- (And no, I'm not really advocating Lisp;
that would be a horrible idea).

- M.