Michael Kiefte mkiefte at dal.ca
Tue Mar 29 11:22:14 MST 2011

Some choice quotes regarding JavaScript on the Mozilla website that made me
cringe:

JavaScript is a small, lightweight language; it is not useful as a
> standalone language, but is designed for easy embedding in other products
> and applications, such as web browsers.
>
> JavaScript is a very free-form language compared to Java. You do not have
> to declare all variables, classes, and methods. You do not have to be
> concerned with whether methods are public, private, or protected, and you do
> not have to implement interfaces. Variables, parameters, and function return
> types are not explicitly typed.
>
> In expressions involving numeric and string values with the + operator,
> JavaScript converts numeric values to strings. For example, consider the
> following statements:
> 1x = "The answer is " + 42 // returns "The answer is 42"
> 2y = 42 + " is the answer" // returns "42 is the answer"
>
> In statements involving other operators, JavaScript does not convert
> numeric values to strings. For example:
> 1"37" - 7 // returns 30
> 2"37" + 7 // returns "377"
>
> Another unusual thing about variables in JavaScript is that you can refer
> to a variable declared later, without getting an exception.
>
> If an array is created using a literal in a top-level script, JavaScript
> interprets the array each time it evaluates the expression containing the
> array literal. In addition, a literal used in a function is created each
> time the function is called.

That's just the from first three pages.   I'm actually going to learn
JavaScript anyway as I wouldn't mind using it for some lectures (I use
pdfLaTeX + Beamer and you can embed JavaScript in the resulting PDF).  But
it kind of reminds me of MATLAB or perl -- not something that you'd want to
do a really big project in. (However, I have done really big projects in
MATLAB and they're a nightmare to debug).

- M.