Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Mar 30 03:28:07 MST 2011

Thus spake Michael Kiefte:

> I finished reading the Mozilla documentation on JavaScript, and inheritance
> is a nightmare.  Since there are not classes, inheritance is based on a
> prototype instantiation. The syntax for inheritance is a gigantic kludge and
> there appear to be several ways of doing it--none of which are necessarily
> intuitive.  I have a sudden urge to do everything in assembler.  There are a
> few other quirks that will make it bug prone -- some of which I posted
> above.  I was against JavaScript before I started investigating it and now
> I'm actually much more firm in my opposition.  It's a bad language.

I'm not in favor of it either. Making those demos was an interesting
exercise, but I don't see that JavaScript is suitable for a large
project. The fact that it's dynamically, weakly typed will make testing
hard, and the lack of block scoping rules strikes me as error-prone. I
think it would be interesting to have a web-based client, but I think it
shouldn't be the primary client. Maybe by the time we're ready to
develop something web-based, browser support will be in a better state
(e.g., WebGL will be available).

I think the next thing I'm going to look into is making the same demo
in Python, using the OpenGL bindings.