Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Mar 30 06:53:03 MST 2011

Thus spake Michael Kiefte:

> > * Swing bugs
> >

> You could substitute those with SWT bugs!

I can't imagine the SWT devs being slower to fix things than Sun/Oracle
have been.

> > * Image loading bugs
>
> I doubt that would improve with SWT.  If anything, SWT is harder to work
> with, but it looks nicer.

Does SWT use it's own image loader? I would have thought it would have
used BufferedImages and relied on ImageIO for image loading.

> > * Whether the desktop ecosystem is dying
> >

> In Java specifically or with desktops in general?  Desktops will be around
> for quite a long time and there is even some evidence they have gained on
> game consoles.  But Java may be dying on the desktop.

With respect to Java in particular. I don't expect that the desktop will
go away. I can't imagine coding on my phone.

> Of course the main advantages of either Qt or wxWidgets is the vast number
> of libraries available for C and C++. Oh and I forgot about GTK which is
> very hard to use.  Has anyone compiled anything with GTK for Windows besides
> GIMP?

I seem to recall having done that once. I actually kind of like GTK myself.