Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Mar 30 09:03:24 MST 2011

Thus spake Thomas Russ:

>  From what I see (and presumably you as well, since you're on the
> Apple Java developer mailing list) is that Oracle will be taking over
> the task of delivering Java VMs for the Mac as well as their current
> Windows and Linux/Unix versions.  In some ways that is likely to be an
> improvement over the current situation where Apple's release is often
> a bit behind the Oracle releases.

It might improve the lag situation. It might mean that nobody is stuck
on Java 1.5 anymore, either, which would be great. I'm not holding my
breath for Oracle to fix the long standing non-Mac-specific bugs that I
was complaining about, though. It might happen that they get fixed in
OpenJDK---I do see a fair bit of activity there---but that's of no help
to us until everybody on every platform we support can run it.