[messages] [Module Design] Code enabled VASSAL modules?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Mar 30 13:02:09 MST 2011

Thus spake mroyer:

> I'm thinking something along the lines of a "code enabled" game module
> where a user would need to contact the copyright holder (i.e., typically
> a game company) to receive a code that enables the module for use?  The
> code would, of course, need to be personalized to the user somehow,
> perhaps by hashing with his computer's MAC address.

How would this work for people with serveral computers, who get a new
computer or new NIC, or who have one machine (e.g., virtually all
laptops) which has more than one NIC in it?

> If something like this existed, it would allow companies to control
> distribution (and charge if they saw fit) which ultimately could lessen
> anxiety about having their games developed in electronic form on VASSAL.

Can you come up with something which couldn't be defeated in less than
an hour by someone with the source code? I've thought a bit about this,
and haven't been able to, myself.